Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Owl be careful next time...

All of my carved pieces got covered up with the clear glaze I used. The underglaze colors didn't show through like they were suppose to. In this pic the tree bark should have been a muted yellow to light brown. I only dipped the pieces for 1 second. My dilemma is I enjoy carving on my pots but I want them to be functional. Without the glaze they are not food safe. The clear glaze I use comes out quite thick..wondering how to fix this problem..any suggestions?

6 comments:

  1. I like the plate, only you know what the color was supposed to be. Sometimes the ingredients of the glaze react with the ingredients in the underglaze and change the color. For my clear glaze I think it down with water till it is very thin. On some of my pieces I noticed when I fired my kiln cooler the clear glaze was less cloudy, it's a lot of trial till you get it right but then it is worth it. Do some test tiles with your colors so you don't risk all the work of one of your time consuming pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I will try to thin the glaze like you said next time. I think that should make a huge difference.

      Delete
  2. I forgot to say I brush my glazes on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherry! You didn't say what temp you fire to. Also, at what cone do you bisque? When a glaze is underfired, it comes out more opaque; that might be it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fired to cone 9. Im not sure what cone my teacher fired it to. Thank you for your input. Happy Potting!!!

      Delete
    2. I meant I don't know what cone she fires her bisque at.

      Delete